The popularity of short format cricket which has been increasing from many years which led to the rapid change of approach for bowlers as well as batsman. We all know cricket is about batsman’s game where majority of the times, a batter gets extra edge in terms of favorable conditions to dominate the bowlers. That’s probably because, the fans mostly likes to see long and hard hitting sixes in the ground to get entertain. But there are many Indian T20 bowlers who has made their name by showing their bowling skills against all the odds. Hence, let’s go on to the players who has the most wickets in T20 for India.
Most Wickets In T20 International For India
1. Yuzvendra Chahal
- One of the fastest growing leg spinner, Yuzvendra Chahal holds the record of most wickets in t20 for India where, he has scalped 91 wickets out of 75 matches with the economy rate of 8 runs per over. He also has a 5 wicket haul with the career best bowling figure of 6/25 against England in Chinnaswamy Stadium Bengaluru.
- Chahal made his T20I debut in 2016 from where he never stopped taking wickets for his country and dominated his leg spin bowling in SENA countries. Chahal is fond of playing chess where he uses his mind games against the batsmen’s as well to deceive them. To be precisely, if you remember how he used to get the wicket of Glenn Maxwell where he deceived him multiple times with his mind games.
- The turning point of Chahal’s cricket career was probably getting picked by RCB where he proved his worth year after year in the small home ground of Bengaluru, where if ball even gets slight edge of the bat it goes for maximum. Chahal was the active of team India from 2016 to 2021.
- Moreover, due to small rough phase in his T20 career, he was dropped by Indian Selector’s and not even got to play in T20 world cup 2022. Apart from this he also has record of highest wickets in a single season of IPL.
2. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
- The swing king of Indian cricket Bhuvneshwar, Kumar who made dance many known international batsman’s with his swing deliveries comes on 2nd place in terms of most wicket in t20 for India. Bhuvi has taken 90 wickets in 87 games with incredible economy of 7 runs per over.
- Bhuvneshwar is the only Indian T20I bowler who has bowled 10 maiden overs in his career, and also includes 2 time five wickets haul in his profile. We all have seen the stunning in-swing deliveries against the players like Aaron Finch, Jason Roy, Jos Buttler etc.
- The above top 2 bowlers of Indian cricket has no longer active part of Indian cricket which is very strange thing to see. Many Indian cricket fans are waiting to return of Bhuvi in blue jersey to see his smooth runup and those wicket taking swing balls.
3. Ravichandran Ashwin
- Born in Tamil Nadu, right arm off spinner Ravi Ashwin who is known as one of the best off-break bowler not only in t20 but also in all three formats. Ashwin got his t20 cap in 2010 where he has played 65 matches and grabbed 72 wickets till now and registered his name as 3rd player who got most wickets in t20 for India.
- Ashwin is also popular for his game awareness and tactics on the field which he often times applies when he plays for his team. The controversial incident in a IPL match against Rajasthan Royals batter Jos Buttler, when he did mankad out on non striker got many cricket experts attraction.
- Apart from his off-break bowling, he also has many memorable cricket knocks in T20 cricket, the 2022 world cup match against Pakistan, when 2 runs needed in 1 ball he showed great calmness where he scored last winning runs for team.
- At present, Ashwin is playing for Rajasthan Royals as a lead spinner for the team where he proved his ability once gain with ball and bat by scoring some quick runs for the franchise.
4. Jasprit Bumrah
- The death bowling and yorker specialist of Indian cricket Jasprit Bumrah who has drastically earned respect and support of all the Indian fans from past 4-5 years. Yorker king Bumrah has 70 wickets in the account out of 60 T20I games for India with the economy rate of 6.62 runs per over which is the lowest from any T20I bowler.
- Bumrah made the selection committee of Indian Cricket to think about his entry in team India when he made his IPL debut in 2013 from Mumbai Indians where in his first match against RCB he got three big wickets in the form of Virat Kohli and Abd.
- After deceiving some big names of world cricket and giving back to back performances in IPL, he got blue jersey of T20 format in 2016 from there he never looked back and made into the list of most wickets in t20 for India.
- Unfortunately from 2022 july, Bumrah is suffering from back injury where he had to miss many big tournaments like Asia cup 2022, T20 world cup 2022, and IPL 2023 as well. Let’s hope for his grand comeback in indian dressing room ahead of ODI world cup 2023 as he is our main wicket taker.
5. Hardik Pandya
- Coming from Gujarat, Hardik Pandya finds his way in the list of most wickets for India in t20 where he has taken 69 wickets out of 87 matches by having economy rate of 8 runs per over. The star all-rounder of India, Hardik is a bowler who has pretty simple action but beats the batsmen’s with his hard length bowling.
- Apart from his exceptional bowling, Hardik rescued india on many difficult occasion be it against England, Australia or South Africa he always stood up when it requires the most. Similarly like Bumrah, Hardik also got his India cap in 27th January in 2016 where he picked 2 wickets on his debut match against Australia.
- Moreover, Hardik’s cricket career has filled with some big injury which made him to stopped playing his favourite sport. Regardless of his setbacks, he has shown his brutal hitting in his comeback as well. Not only as an all-rounder, Pandya also have some really good captaincy skills where he led his IPL team Gujarat Titans to lift the trophy in first season itself.
Q) Which spinner has taken the most wickets for India in t20 internationals?
Chess master, Yuzvendra Chahal has grabbed the most wickets for India in t20 format (91 wickets).
Q) Which pace bowler grabbed the highest wickets in t20 format for India?
The swing king, Bhuvneshwar Kumar is the only pace bowler who scalped highest wickets in t20 format for India (90 wickets).