When we talk about Australian Cricket the one word which comes in our mind is “Greatness”. All the cricket playing nation knows how was the prime Australian Cricket team under Ricky Ponting. Australian Cricket not only produced some great Batsmans like Don Bradman, Steve Smith but also some iconic bowlers of all time like Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Mitchell Starc, Glenn McGrath who comes in the list of Most Test Wickets For Australia of all time.
We all know Australia is the only team who won the all three ICC trophies and the most world cups as well, all this great achievements came under some exceptional bowler which they have, weather it is 2015 Mitchell Starc’s Heroic man of the tournament performance or Shane Warne’s leg spin magic in Test Cricket, they all contributed when it comes to becoming the one of the best Cricket team in the world. Hence, we are going to look some bowlers who has the highest test wickets for Australia.
Players With Most Test Wickets For Australia
1. Shane Warne
- The leg spin master Shane Warne is the player who has taken the most wickets for Australia in test cricket, where he played 145 test matches and taken 708 wickets including 37- five wickets haul in the span of 1992-2007. Undoubtedly he was the One of the greatest leg spinner of cricket history, but unfortunately due to heart attack Shane Warne passed away on 4th march 2022.
- He was also won the IPL inauguration season with the Rajasthan Royals in 2008, and remained as a mentor for the franchise for many years, where he nourished many young talented players like Shreyas Gopal, K. Gowtham, R.Tewatia and many more in the camp.
- Almost 3/4 of the leg spinners in India, Idolizes the legend Shane Warne when it comes to bowling the leg spin. Players like Warne are the once in generation where they makes the whole world fond of their skills.
2. Glenn McGrath
- The Legendary fast bowler Glenn McGrath who dominated the World Cricket with his bowling skills from the 1900s to late 2000s comes in the 2nd position for taking the most test wickets for Australia. Glenn McGrath has played 124 test matches in his career where he picked 563 wickets which also includes 5 times 5-wicket haul.
- Moreover, McGrath is known for his pace and bounce which was his main asset to deceive the batsman’s and bowling consistently on the outside off stumps at good length spot, including some subtle variations which makes him hard to play for any batsman.
3. Nathan Lyon
- Another Aussie legend Nathan Lyon is also not far away from above two greats when it comes to taking wickets consistently in Test cricket irrespective of the pitch, country, and conditions. Nathan Lyon has played 227 test matches till now where he successfully taken 495 wickets with 23 times five-wicket hauls and became the 3rd highest wicket taker in test for Australia.
- Nathan Lyon also known as “Gaza” is a big headache for many big cricket teams and players, He bowls at the same line and length constantly until a batsman makes mistake. Lyon loves to perform teams like England and India, where he bowled his career best bowling figures in India during the Border Gavaskar Trophy in 2016, where he got 8 wickets in a inning.
- He not only contributes to the team with his bowling, but also scores crucial runs with the bat when it requires, prime example is the on-going Ashes 2023 in england, where he scored crucial 16 runs with the Australian Captain, Pat Cummins and won the 1st match of the Ashes 2023 for the team.
4. Dennis Lillee
- Former Australian Fast Bowler Dennis Lillee features himself in 4th place in the list highest test wickets for Australia, who has taken 355 wickets in the 70 test matches in the period of 1971-1984 including 23 five-wicket hauls for the team. It is said that, In his prime form no one was even near to Dennis Lillee in dominating the batsman’s of world cricket.
- Despite having major back injury against west indies, he never gave up on his favorite sport. Later when he came to the cricket after having a long break everyone expected that he will not be at his full potential like he was prior to the injury, but in reality he even got better and terrorise the batsman with his hard length, bouncers, and variations on the field.
5. Mitchell Johnson
- Left hand fast bowler, Mitchell Johnson was the another Australian legend bowler where he has some pretty good records against South Africa and England. Johnson claims the 5th position in our elite list of most test wickets for Australia in history, where he has taken 313 test wickets in 73 matches which he played with 12- wicket hauls in his career.
- We talks about Mitchell Johnson we all know his aggressive on field behaviour to deceive the batsman, iconic example was Virat kohli vs Johnson sledging conversation in 2014 test tour of Australia, When Johnson tried to hit the stumps with ball and but hit directly to Virat Kohli which turned into heat argument between the two legends of the game. But it is completely alright, because these small things make cricket even more interesting.
In conclusion , these five aussies legends is holding the record of most test wickets for Australia as of now, But in the coming years players like Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, and Pat Cummins can climb up the list of highest wicket taker in test for Australia.
Read More: Most Fours In ODI Cricket