England probably plays most test cricket than any other cricket playing nation in a calendar year. It’s also because of the passion of the fans to watch the 5-day long matches in the beautiful and iconic cricket grounds of England. The quality of batsman which England has always given to the world cricket attracts the more fans to watch this long format. But did you know who has the most test runs for England?
The county cricket of England provides a stage where young talents gets nourished and gets a chance to showcase their skills where they later becomes some great players like Joe Root and Alastair Cook. However, scoring runs in the green wickets of England is not that easy where the pitch mostly gives advantage to the bowlers. Hence, Today we are going to look to the players who has scored most test runs for england.
Top 5 England Players Who Has Scored Most Runs In Test Cricket
1. Alastair Cook
- Sir Alastair Cook is not only the best test batsman of England Cricket but also considered as the one of the worlds best test format batter along with the players like Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid. Alastair Cook has played 161 games out of those he blasted 12,472 runs with the bat with the average of 45.35 runs per inning and became the leading player with most test runs for england.
- When it comes to the milestones Cook has scored 33 century which is the most by a English batsman till now and also includes 57 half centuries in the span of between 2006-2018. Left Hander, Alastair Cook has dominated against every international test team.
- When it comes to scoring runs against his favourite team India, he has played some really exceptional knocks. In 30 games against India 2,431 including seven hundreds as well. Cook has always relied on his technique, timing and waiting for the loose balls to find the gaps to score runs. Moreover, after his retirement he is active as commentator in his favourite game.
2. Joseph Edward Root
- The current best Fab-4 player with his ongoing test form Joe Root features in 2nd position in the list of most test runs for England. The class player Joe Root is known for finding the sweet spot and connecting it to ball in to gaps, specially my personal favourite shot of him is the cover drive which he plays between the point and covers.
- Root has played 131 matches where he smashed 11,168 runs as of now in June 2023. The former captain Joe Root who has got decent success in the captaincy stepped down as a captain 2022 to focus fully on his batting in his remaining test career.
- Well Root is mainly known for his extraordinary batting skills, but not to forget that he is amazing part time bowler as well, who takes wicket when no one has his day. Root has successfully managed to grab 55 wickets in test cricket with his best bowling figure against India in Chennai where he took a fifer by giving just 8 runs.
- Moreover, He his currently playing Ashes 2023 in England, where in the first match he scored a century and a fifty. The red hot form of Joe Roots continues to stick with him from the Sri Lankan tour in 2021. He has set the bar high in the first match of Ashes 2023, England fans would now be expecting to make this series to remember for him as well as for the fans.
3. Graham Gooch
- Unarguably Graham Gooch is one of the best opening batsman of English cricket who played 118 matches and made 8,900 runs with incredible batting average of 49.23 in period between 1975-1995 and became the 3rd player with most test runs for England.
- Graham Gooch is also known for his mammoth inning of 333 runs against India in 1990 at lords cricket ground, in that match Indian Wicket keeper, Kiran More dropped the catch of Gooch in the beginning of his innings where later he has to face to consequence of that dropped catch.
- Furthermore, Graham Gooch had that typical hard working technique where he used to follow the general rule of cricket which was to respect the good deliveries and to punish hardly the bad balls. In addition his bat lift which used to come from the height of right shoulder played huge role in his batting success.
- Besides his cricket achievements, he has also awarded as Honorary life membership as he hugely contributed to the England Cricket team.
4. Alec Stewart
- If class, elegance, and style has the face then it would be exactly look like Alec Stewart who was the prominent batter of England In 1990s. Alec Stewart with his breathtaking batting abilities secures his 4h place in the iconic list most runs in test for England.
- Alec Stewart’s test career started from 1990 and ended in 2003 in between he played 133 matches where he has scored 8,463 runs with 15-centuries and 45-half centuries throughout his test career.
- Moreover, Alec’s on-field rivalry against Aussies legendary leg spinner Shane Warne’s has attracted many fans to watch out the series in 2003, where Shane warne thoroughly dominated Alec Stewart on Australian Soil. Apart from test cricket has decent records in the ashes and world cups. Because of his failure on big stage of cricket, many experts calls Alec Stewart as a overrated player.
5. David Gower
- The left handed charming and classy batter David Gower features himself in 5th spot in the list of most test runs for England where he played he made 8,231 runs in 117 matches in his 13 years long test career with having 18 test hundreds and 39 fifties.
- Gower was so talented and blessed with sweet timing of his bat which made spectators effortless display. Nevertheless he never got the appreciation which he deserved because he used to lack in converting his knock into big innings.
- Furthermore in 1981, 1985, and 1987 ashes series, Gower’s contribution to england team was pretty good with the bat where he led team to the victory in couple of matches. After having great cricket career Gower made his way into as a analyst and commentator where he earned the love and support of the his followers.
READ MORE : Most ODI Wickets For England