Test cricket is probably known for its class and stylish grounded shots like cover drives, back foot punches etc. But there are some players who operates in their own different league and smashes sixes in test cricket like T20 format. We have to admit that hitting Most Sixes In Test Cricket is quite difficult unlike white ball cricket, because of the conditions and bowling attack in test most of the players finds it tough to deliver the ball into the stands.
Regardless of this, Test cricket produced some modern day ruthless players who hits sixes for fun. Therefore let’s have look on some cricketers who managed to register their names in the list of most sixes in test cricket.
Top 5 Players With Most Sixes In Test Cricket
1. Ben Stokes
- Possibly the current best all rounder of test cricket and England’s red ball captain, Ben Stokes owns the record of hitting the most sixes in test cricket with 123 sixes in 95 matches as of now in 2023. His mindset in this 5 day long format makes him different from rest of the players when it comes to delivering the ball in stands.
- If you are watching the ongoing Ashes test series of 2023, you will get better understanding what I meant by mindset. His 150 runs against England in 2nd test where he smacked 9 sixes in a inning against bowlers like Cummins, Starc, and Hazlewood.
- Probably that was the one of the best fightback inning of Test cricket which I witnessed that day. When the whole team collapsed this man single handedly took his team near the victory while chasing the score of 300 plus. I think he has made to perform on big stages be it world cup matches or Ashes he stood up when it required the most.
- In the past few years, the way Ben Stokes has changed his approach in test with his new aggressive playstyle is just phenomenal. The Bazball is truly entertaining for all the fans around the world and it made cricket more interesting, there were many talks that it will fail against big teams like Australia, But Stokes proved it completely wrong.
2. Brendon McCullum
- The man behind the term ”Bazball” and current England test team’s coach, Brendon McCullum who has literally changed the dynamics of test cricket for England cricket the moment he took the post of head coach. Baz has played 101 matches in which he hit 107 sixes which makes him the 2nd player in the list of most sixes in test cricket.
- If we closely look at the mentality of England players while batting at the crease, it is very similar to Brendon McCullum which is to just going out there and play according to the ball while having the aggressive mindset of hitting boundaries and sixes to put the bowler and opposition team in the pressure.
- The reason he has achieved these many sixes in his career is because, that’s how he thinks towards this sport and that’s how he likes to play whether it is Test, ODI, or T20I his core fundamentals will remain the same. He actually believes that a cricketer should play the ball according to its line and length not by the name or how big the bowler who is bowling.
3. Adam Gilchrist
- Aussies left handed batsman Adam Gilchrist, who batted on number 7 position most of the times in his test career but still managed to feature in the 3rd place in terms of hitting most sixes in test cricket. Adam Gilchrist with his effortless six hitting abilities has played 96 test matches and trashed 100 sixes in his 9 years of test career.
- I still remember the match against England in 2006 perth, Where in the first inning he got out on zero and in the second inning he came and made the 2nd fastest test century in test cricket, he was the only one who could have done these types of crazy things in cricket.
- Moreover, In that match I was thrilled by watching his standing effortless sixes, I mean everyone hits sixes but Gilchrist was something. One more thing which I liked about Adam is his fairplay, there were many times he was given not out but still he used to walk towards the dressing room knowing he is out, which is rare to find in most of the aussie players.
4. Chris Gayle
- Unarguably the man with zero haters the universe boss, Chris Gayle has received loved from every cricket playing nation not only for his entertaining innings but also for his kind behaviour both on and off the field. Most people may know him for his brutal sixes in T20 cricket but he has pretty good records in test cricket as well.
- Universe boss Gayle has played 103 test games in which he sends ball 98 times in to the stands which makes him at the 4th spot in the list of most sixes in test cricket. I have heard from many peoples who says “Gayle is not suitable for test cricket” which is I think stupidity to say this if you ever looked at his records in test.
- Actually he was really underrated in test format, How can someone calls him overrated for test when he played 100 test matches for West Indies. A player will never ever able to play even 20 or 30 test games if he doesn’t performs whereas Gayle has more than 7,000 runs and 15 test centuries in his career.
5. Virender Sehwag
- One of the most fearless batsman of Indian cricket history who never cared about personal milestone and put his team always forth, Virender Sehwag claims 5th place when it comes to smashing most sixes in test cricket. Sehwag in his 104 test matches hit 91 sixes in his 12 years of test journey.
- Moreover, we have seen many players getting nervous whenever they are nearing milestone but in Sehwag’s case, forget about being nervous he likes to hit sixes when he was batting on 290’s which literally shows why people calls him a teamplayer.
- Virender Sehwag was never a fan of correct foot movement, he just knew one thing which is to hit the ball for six in return whatever it takes. Truly he was the iconic opener of India who entertained the whole world with his clean six hitting abilities.
Q) Who hit the most sixes in test ?
England captain, Ben Stokes owns the title of most sixes in test cricket (123 sixes).
Q) Which Indian cricketer smashed most sixes in test cricket?
Virender Sehwag is the only Indian cricketer, who hit the most sixes in test (91 sixes).
Read More : Highest Test Wins As Captain