Nowadays, some young cricket fans thinks T20 and short format league is the best in terms of entertainment and to know about the players ability to play the game, but the real cricket fans who are following the cricket before the dominance of T20I cricket know the ultimate entertainment and test of skills of the players is the Test Cricket. When we talk about Test cricket Australian batters has always dominated the world with their exceptional batting skills. Did you ever think who has scored the most runs in test for Australia?
Well, the list of the players with Most Runs In Test For Australia has filled with some great names of the cricket history and they also deserves all the credit for their batting skills to reach at this level. Because playing in test cricket for long time and performing consistently for the team is certainly not an easy task. Therefore here we are going to look at the players who has topped the list having the most runs in test.
Players With Most Runs In Test For Australia
1. Ricky Ponting
- Probably one of the best Australian batsman in the history of the Australian team, where he not only helped to achieve the dangerous and aggressive reputation for the team but also won the 4 world cup trophies and under his captaincy. The former iconic captain of Australia has scored 13,378 in 168 matches including the 41 Test centuries.
- Moreover, when it comes to the batting of the Ricky Ponting he was mainly known for strong cut shot and cover drives which not only look astonishing but also decreases the confidence of the bowler. it is said that Australian players has always been good with mind games on the field to gain the extra edge in the match.
- The amount of respect and reputation of one the best fielder which ponting gaines was not less than his batting records. At his time, ponting was considered to be safest and aggressive fielder of the world, it was so rare to watch ponting dropping a catch or missing the run outs.
- After having incredible career in the cricket field, he did not gone far aways from his favorite sport, where he is enjoying his post retirement life by the role of commentator and coach for different league team.
2. Allan Border
- Another left handed and legendary batsman of the Australian cricket, Allan border would be the 2nd player who has most runs in test for Australia, Where he has played 156 matches on which he scored 11,174 with 27 centuries in his career. When we talks about Allan Border he was so brutal when it comes to smashing the big bowlers.
- We can also consider Allan Border as the revival of Australian Cricket team when he became the captain in 1984. The moment he taken the responsibility of the captain, the dynamic and performance of the team thoroughly changed. He was the one who introduced the aggressive and never give up mindset in the players.
3. Steve Waugh
- If I had to define Steve Waugh it would be like this, the calmness on the face and aggressiveness with bat is called Steve Waugh. The right handed batsman S. Waugh comes in 3rd position in the list of most runs for Australia in test. He has started his career 1985 and ended in 2004 over the period he made 10,927 runs in 168 matches which also includes 32 centuries.
- Steve Waugh was also known by the name of “Iceman”due to his control on his mind and temperament on the field. Waugh was the only players who lift the World Cup trophy twice under his captainship. Apart from a great cricketer he was also a great human being, as he used to donate in the charity for the needy peoples.
4. Steve Smith
- The greatest batsman of the test cricket after Don Bradman. Steven Peter Devereux Smith claims the 4th spot in terms of scoring most runs for Australia in test cricket. If notice above all three names, the amount of matches is quite low in case of Steve Smith but still he managed to come 4th place in this list.
- Steven Smith has played only 98 matches as of now, in those he had scored 8,969 runs with the exceptional average of 59.35 runs per inning which also includes 31 centuries and 37 half-centuries.
- In terms of average and runs right now there is not one even close to him in the records also to remember he had played quite less matches than above players. If Steve Smith can manages to play till 2027 he might broke the record of Ricky Ponting in terms of scoring runs as well as centuries.
- After sandpaper Incident it was not easy for him to make comeback in international cricket where he was completely banned for 2 years from cricket. But Smith had some other plans, Not only he came back in international cricket but also played his best series of the career where he scored centuries twice in same match in ashes 2019.
5. Michael Clarke
- Another Successful captain of the Australia Michael Clarke, Who was the 2015 world cup winner captain is the 5th player in the elite list of most runs in test for Australia. Michael Clarke has played 115 test matches where he scored 8,643 runs with 28 centuries in the bag.
- Probably he was the only batsman who has the triple century as a captain in test cricket. The famous triple century came against India at Sydney Cricket Ground. Michael clarke has not only scored runs in test cricket but he also had records of scoring runs in ODI cricket. Overall he has contributed very well to the team with his batting and captaincy skills to achieve great heights to the team.
Certainly these players are going to be remember for a very long time for what they did for their country. However, this list will definitely going to change in the future, as many more players will come to rule the world cricket from Australia. In Fact the current active players Steven Smith and Marnus Labuschagne may surpass these cricket legends.
READ MORE : Most Wickets For Australia In Test Cricket