Sports is all about winning and losing, similarly with cricket, where one team has to feel the joy of winning the matches and another to experience defeat. Probably if you ever ask any cricket captain about losing, they certainly don’t want to be on the losing side, but irrespective of their efforts a team has to face the defeat no matter how big team it is. Same goes with our Indian Premier League where every team give their all just to be qualify in the knockouts and later to aim to lift the trophy. But many teams fails to cross the line, which makes us think franchise with most matches lost by a team in IPL.
Often times we see many strong team on paper, but when it comes to deliver the performance it does not go well according to their expectation, irrespective of having big players in team. Therefore, let’s have detail chat on most matches lost by a team in IPL.
Top 5 Teams With Most Losses In IPL
1. Delhi Capitals
- The team who always gave a platform to youngsters to showcase their skills in IPL, unfortunately holds the unwanted record of most losses in IPL history. Owned by GMR and JSR group of Delhi Capitals has played 238 matches where they had to face defeat 127 times, with having least win percentage of 44.11 in IPL history among all the teams.
- The major drawback of their most losses is, because of lack of quality leader who can lead this young lads team. There were captains in the Delhi camp who has not sustained for long time to get success. Delhi Capital had changed their captains 12 times from the start of their IPL journey where they had to face the consequences of it.
- Furthermore, Delhi has not consistent and did not showed enough faith in the young player who came in their squad. The prime example is Sanju Samson, Delhi Capital had Samson in their squad back in the 2017, where they did not retained him for next year. Now we all know the potential of Sanju Samson as a batsman and captain as well.
2. Punjab Kings
- Indian actress Preity Zinta’s team, Punjab kings stands at 2nd place in the list of most matches lost by a team in IPL where Punjab has lost 124 matches out of 232 IPL games. Formerly known as Kings 11 Punjab has always brought some really expensive player but they were released most of them after 1 or 2 season.
- Similarly like Delhi Capitals, Punjab had also done same mistakes when it comes to showing faith in their players. It is one of those team who does not have any IPL title till now. If you look at their points table results of every season you will find they finishes most of the time at 5 or 6th place but did not entered enough times in qualifiers.
- They might not have enough wins, but when it’s about entertaining the fans with their fearless batting they were ahead of many team in that aspect. Not to forget players like Sehwag, Gilchrist, Shaun Marsh, David Miller and their iconic batsman Glenn Maxwell has always provided action packed moment to the fans.
3. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- The team who has one the biggest fan following in Indian premier league with the most loyal fanbase as well, Royal Challengers Bangalore ended up having 120 losses in 241 matches which they played till now and became the 3rd franchise to have most matches lost by a team in history of Indian premier league.
- If you ever remember their 2016 squad which involves players like Virat Kohli, ADB, Watson, McCullum, Gayle, KL Rahul and many more t20 legends but still did not able to lift the trophy that year. If we talk about their losses in IPL, the possible main reason behind that could be their bowling which used to be weak, specially in slog overs.
- Irrespective of their disappointment from the start of the IPL, their loyal fanbase still supports their favourite team from every beat of their heart. Hopefully they can fulfill the place of IPL trophy in next season.
4. Kolkata Knight Riders
- Two times IPL champions (2012, 2014), which is owned by Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan’s Kolkata Knight Riders may be the team which you would not expect to be in this list most IPL losses in IPL. King Khan’s KKR lost 114 matches out of 237 games.
- The legacy which Gautam Gambhir left with his captaincy certainly declined, their two most iconic west indies players Andre Russell and Sunil Narine are not able to deliver the performance for their franchise according to their big reputation from last 2-3 years which might be the reason they are in this unwanted list.
- Till 2017 KKR has got some pretty good captains in the role of Brendon McCullum, Ganguly, Kallis and then Gambhir, they were on the track with pretty good domination in the league. But from 2018, they were not able to find a captain who can lead them into the knockout stages.
- If you were aware of the fact that, there was a time when players like Shubman Gill, Surya Kumar Yadav were part of this team but they did not retained them after having a couple of bad matches. But they are fortunate to have an another Indian finisher Rinku Singh on their side who showed the world his potential in 2023 IPL season.
5. Mumbai Indians
- It is bit surprising for me to know that, Rohit Sharma’s Mumbai Indians who is known as one of the most successful team in IPL is featuring in the list of most matches lost by a team in IPL. Mumbai Indians has played 247 matches where they had to taste defeat in 105 games.
- Another interesting thing is that, it is also the only team who has won the most ipl games than any other franchise. After the mega auction Mumbai Indians is no longer that dangerous team which it used to be. The place of Hardik, Pollard, Krunal is still the there are trying to fill up with new players.
- However in 2023 season, they qualified for playoffs where they got knocked out by Gujarat Titans where Shubman Gill single handedly showed exit by smashing stunning century.
Read More : Players With Most Runs In IPL 2016